Wednesday 22 October 2008

A thought from the day

I was at a weekly coffee hosted by my department (ISCA) when this occured...

I met a fellow student who is also studying MPhil in Social Anthropology and is contemplating researching on the Sahara area of Afria. One of the main reasons was that she knew the place quite well and had the interests to research on these people - refugees and non-refugees on a multi-sited fieldwork.

She gave me a suggestion on my possible future research, which I took as a bright idea. She advised me to aim for doing side projects as an anthropologist in future and review the studies conducted on Nepal (such as those on Newars of Kathmandu by Dr David Gellner and on the untouchables of Bajhang district by Dr Cameron). This would be a new practice in anthropology, a native anthropologist critiqueing the study on his native societies.

I think I should not let the idea die out, specially if I am going to work long-term as a practioner. So far I believe I will indeed be working as one.

In the discussion, there was a mulling over whether I should research on Nepal itself or outside. The concept had to be analysed looking at its pros and cons. If I did indeed go for fieldwork in a Nepali-speaking community in Nepal, I would not need to learn the language and I would be familiar with many things. As a result, my DPhil could be swift - perhaps completed within two years after MPhil.

On the flipside, I will be deprived of the excitements and challenges involved with the unpacking of a completely new culture, in other parts of the world except South Asia. I would need to start from zero and everything I learnt would look exciting and new. It will certainly not be the case with my research in Nepal.

I will need to think about this very carefully and fairly quickly as well. My adviser's opinion will also count, of course.

No comments: